Friday, March 15, 2013

Lent Day 30 (Friday)

Exercise:  Rest.  Fridays are typically a day of rest for me, and most of the time I need it.  I look forward to good weather this weekend, and plenty of time outside.

Verse:

Acts 4:10
New King James Version (NKJV)

10 let it be known to you all, and to all the people of Israel, that by the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, whom you crucified, whom God raised from the dead, by Him this man stands here before you whole.

Thoughts: Riding in a group for me often means riding alone.  This is mostly because I challenge myself to ride with others that are better than I am, so that I have a reason to push myself beyond my limits.  While riding this winter, I've often ridden alone.  To ride alone is to have only yourself to push you, and only your own motivation to keep you going.  There were plenty of days during the winter where I decided I just didn't have the internal energy to ride alone, and decided to take an extra day off.  Whether it was because of cold, or windy, or wet, or just cases of the "blahs", I chose not to ride.  Riding by yourself can be relaxing, but it can also be a big load of "not fun".  This is particularly true when what you really want to do is not ride alone.  Metaphorically this can translate to other social outlets, and I think that it works true here as well.  We are social beings at heart, and as such we need that social interaction in order to function at our best.  Some people need it to feel better about themselves.  To say they are stronger, faster, smarter;  They are looking to feel superior.  Some are looking for justification for themselves, that they belong.  Some just want to not be alone.  We as humans are all searching, yet so few have found what we are truly searching for.  You can't find it in a bottle, or on a bike, or in the sand on the beach.  These things can lead you to what you are searching for, but they in and of themselves will not provide you what you really need.  There is only one water of life;  to drink of it means to never be thirsty.  Even when I am off the back of the group, hopeless to catch up and just heading back to the starting point I am not actually alone.  Sometimes I just need to be reminded of that.

No comments: