Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Lent Day 27 (Tuesday)

Exercise: Walking ~ 2 miles + cycling 28 miles.  I went down to the local bike shop at lunch, which is a pretty hefty walk from my office building.  The weather was nice, so it was an enjoyable trip.  The one issue is that walking that distance ends up putting a bit of a strain on my right knee.  I'll have to be careful with what I do the next couple of days to not really aggravate it.  Since Daylight Saving Time started last Sunday, Tuesday evenings now means SC-TAC if the weather is good.  The weather was fantastic, and I did the entire summer course except for the final loop around the airport.  I feel like I put in a good effort, but I didn't want to overwork my knee.

Verse:
2 Peter 1:4New International Version (NIV)Through these he has given us his very great and precious promises, so that through them you may participate in the divine nature, having escaped the corruption in the world caused by evil desires.

Thoughts:  Whenever I spend a fair amount of time on social media sites, one thing very much stands out to me.  I fear that Christians, including myself, spend way too much time rattling sabers instead of standing up on our knees.  On any given night I can see images with crazy text on them ranging from gun control to abortion, some with outright slander on them attempting to incite emotion.  While I have opinions on these public issues, I also feel like as a Christian my first and primary response should be to pray for the people that are spreading these feelings, and to realize that the Enemy wants us to be fighting and chasing Phantom Menaces.  While our Country may be heading down the proverbial 4 lane expressway to the center of the earth, the reality is that we will never create a Utopia on Earth until HE comes again.  We know what's going to happen, and if you read the end of the book first you know how it's going to end.  I fear too often we feel like we have to do something to stop it.  Jesus could have done something to stop the scourging and crucifixion.  Pilot should have done something.  Without the scourging and the painful death, there is no Resurrection and life everlasting.  Without the tribulations now there can be no victory later.  The Enemy only wins when we let him turn our hearts away from HIM.  I'm not saying that we shouldn't attempt to right wrongs, and stop evil, but to do so by turning away from Christ, I fear we are just feeding the demons that we wish to defeat.

No comments: