Monday, March 11, 2013

Lent Day 26 (Monday)

Exercise:  None (planned rest).  After 4 straight days of cycling, I needed to let my body repair itself.  Tomorrow is the first unofficial day of SC-TAC riding, I want to be ready to go.

Verse:

Matthew 10:12-15

New International Version (NIV)
12 As you enter the home, give it your greeting. 13 If the home is deserving, let your peace rest on it; if it is not, let your peace return to you. 14 If anyone will not welcome you or listen to your words, leave that home or town and shake the dust off your feet. 15 Truly I tell you, it will be more bearable for Sodom and Gomorrah on the day of judgment than for that town.


Thoughts:  Since getting a Camera for the bike for Christmas, I have been working on figuring out where to have it mounted and how often to take video.  The honest truth is that hours upon hours of a late 30's man attempting to climb the upstate of South Carolina is just not very interesting video.  Watching the backs other ammature cyclists in a pack doing the same thing isn't any more compelling.  Beyond just the simple "this is boring" factor, it's really what to do with it.  I've made a few videos with it, mostly of faster runs like downhills, but more than anything else I take video that I then use for still shots later by using VLC and taking a snapshot of the video.  What is interesting is the simple amount of video that is taken in our everyday life without us really knowing about it.  A simple search on YouTube for "Donaldson Center", which is the location of the Tuesday night series here in Greenville (also lovingly known as the Tuesday night Championships) turns up about a dozen results.  If you search for Paris Mountain, you get more than 12 pages, many of them cycling videos.  The thing that I have to be mindful of is that there are others around, and how they will receive video recording, even if it's just the perception of video recording.  While I'm enjoying having the camera for being able to take some neato shots over the time I've had it I also need to be aware that many people, including myself, are not prepared to be on camera 24x7.  We live in an age where our whole lives are photographed, video taped and scrutinized.  While I want to catalog my adventures to share with family and friends, I do not need to cause others distress, either.



No comments: