Sunday, March 10, 2013

Lent Day 25 (Sunday)

Exercise:  Cycling 34 miles.  Even though I had already ridden well over 100 miles this week, the weather was too nice, and I enjoy riding with Brookwood too much, to give up a trip this afternoon.  I did my best to keep the riding easy, including not sprinting in the sprint zone.  It was a relaxing ride, and it really felt like Spring was starting to sprout out in the country.  I'm looking forward to all of the great rides, and even the bad weather ones, that are sure to come this year.  

Verse:

Luke 17:1-4

New International Version (NIV)

Sin, Faith, Duty

17 Jesus said to his disciples: “Things that cause people to stumble are bound to come, but woe to anyone through whom they come. It would be better for them to be thrown into the sea with a millstone tied around their neck than to cause one of these little ones to stumble. So watch yourselves.
“If your brother or sister[a] sins against you, rebuke them; and if they repent, forgive them.Even if they sin against you seven times in a day and seven times come back to you saying ‘I repent,’ you must forgive them.”

Thoughts:  Sunday is still one of my favorite days of the week.  All too often I wish it was because we had a solid church home where I felt led to by the Spirit and I was strengthing my relationship with Christ and my knowledge of the bible, but even without that I find that I purposefully find myself looking to find time to pray.  I do take some comfort in that the ride I go to on Sundays is with Brookwood Church, and that I find that I really do enjoy socializing with the people there.  I keep having hope that maybe I can figure out a church home that works for me.  I carry guilt that I'm not empowering my children to be able to face the Enemy once they are out on their own, but often times I feel like just "taking them to church" is not actually equipping them with the armor of Christ.  While I know that there are millions of people that are stronger in knowledge of the bible than I am, I worry that they get lost in the legalism of the words instead of working on the walk.    At times like these I'm reminded of a Poem by Emily Dickinson, though:


SOME KEEP SUNDAY GOING TO CHURCH

Some keep Sunday going to church 
I keep it staying at home,
With a bobolink for a chorister,
And an orchard for a throne.

Some keep Sabbath in surplice,
I just wear my wings
And instead of tolling the bell for church,
Our little sexton sings.
God preaches, a noted clergyman,
And the sermon is never long,
So instead of going to heaven at last 
I'm going all along. 

No comments: