Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Lent Day 13 (Tuesday)

Exercise: Rest (Weather) - heaving winds and rain today.  Shifted my ride schedule to accommodate for the weather.

Verse:

Numbers 12:6

New International Version (NIV)
he said, “Listen to my words:
“When there is a prophet among you,
    I, the Lord, reveal myself to them in visions,
    I speak to them in dreams.


Thoughts: As I'm preparing for the Assault on Mount Mitchell, training is a big part of what I need to focus on.  Whether it's what I'm eating or how I'm exercising, I have to be mindful of my goals.  The second of the training series for Mitchell is this weekend, and it's another ride up into the mountains around Tryon and Saluda.  It should be a fantastic ride, but I realized that part of the preparation is having the correct tools for the job.  The weather for the ride this weekend looks to be cold.  Cold as in a 30% chance of snow while out on the ride.  After last year I found myself having to replace a large portion of my cycling gear that I had amassed to start this sport.  Cycling, like any hobby, isn't something that is done inexpensively.  The equipment, especially as you spend more time, becomes something you have to budget for if you want to do larger events.  While most would say that the weight loss is a "good problem to have", the end result is that it's still a problem to resolve.  Having to replace a wardrobe that had been collected during and entire adult life is fantastic, but it also take a financial effort and time to re-accumulate the various items that you need.  I've also been wary of overspending in the case that I shrink out of yet another sequence of clothing.  What I ended up doing is putting myself on a budget and saving for the things I need.  I'm not being perfect with it, but it's helping me to keep focus on the things that are really important.  I managed to find a few pieces of new gear to help with this weekend without completely decimating the budget.

No comments: