Saturday, February 23, 2013

Lent Day 10 (Saturday)

Exercise:  None - Rest.  Rainy day here, high was in the low 40's.  Cold + wet doesn't create a good environment for exercise for me.   Instead of pushing it and risking getting sick again, it was a rest/household kind of day.

Verse:
Proverbs 14:23
New International Version (NIV)
23 All hard work brings a profit,
    but mere talk leads only to poverty.

Thoughts:  Multiple times this weekend articles about nutrition and how it impacts fitness have been presented to me.  Food is probably one of my biggest struggles since I started working on my overall health, and it's because it's an easy comfort area.  When you think about food like fuel, a lot of things change, but it's hard to implement those changes.  I've been doing a whole lot better about eating breakfast now.  It used to be that I'd have breakfast once or twice a week at most;  Now it's just part of the daily routine.  Figuring out how much is enough, and working out the evening/nighttime hungers is still a bit of a mystery to me, though.  I need to work on improving what I eat earlier in the day so my body has what it needs later in the day.  Knowing the basics is just the tip of the iceberg with nutrition, and any television ad or book that claims that there is a simple formula is just trying to take your money.  Calories in - Calories out = weight is true in the basics, but our bodies are the most complex engines ever developed.  We spend time and effort into engines that will only last a few years, but this is an engine we only get one of.  We have to treat it right, baby it, give it what it needs to be successful, and go out and enjoy it's performance from time to time. 

No comments: