Monday, February 25, 2013

Lent Day 11 (Sunday)

Exercise: Cycling 54 miles.  It was a fantastic day to ride.  I'm glad I was able to get out and enjoy it with the folks from Brookwood Church.  Strava even called it "Epic"!

Verse:
Numbers 9:20-23
21st Century King James Version (KJ21)
20 And so it was, when the cloud was a few days upon the tabernacle, according to the commandment of the Lord they stayed in their tents, and according to the commandment of the Lord they journeyed.
21 And so it was, when the cloud tarried from evening unto the morning, and the cloud was taken up in the morning, then they journeyed. Whether it was by day or by night that the cloud was taken up, they journeyed.
22 Or whether it was two days or a month or a year that the cloud tarried upon the tabernacle, remaining thereon, the children of Israel remained in their tents and journeyed not; but when it was taken up, they journeyed.
Thoughts:  I was using my video camera yesterday, and I noticed a few things that I need to pray and reflect on about my personality.  This all stems around the personality trait that I have a 110% or nothing attitude.  I'm competitive, which I already knew.  If someone jumps off the front, I feel the need to chase them down rather quickly.  From a cycling perspective this is a separate issue from a personality issue, in that much of cycling is knowing when to use energy and when to conserve it.  As I look to challenge Mt. Mitchell in a few months, conserving energy is going to be the name of the game.  If I can manage a constant pace for 8 hours and conserve energy, I'll be fine.  If I start trying to keep with the "A" pace folks at 7am I'll blow up before lunch.  It's going to be a challenge in a sea of 1,000 people to set my pace and know what I need to do to win.  It's this setting of a pace that will benefit me in all aspects of my life, though.  I tend to push, and then burn out and rest;  throughout my day, week, month, and year.  If I can start mastering pacing at all levels, I think I can do more than I do now because I'll need less downtime.

No comments: