Sunday, August 29, 2010

Ready for the Real Thing

This is mostly going to be more of a a photo update than a lot of narrative today.  I did want to document the "rig" a little better on how I'm using it.  The Router is attached to the guide that I finished yesterday, and the two black lines are to mark the two I'm using for inside and outside cuts.  The inside cut is just a little bit larger than the Senna plans call for, to make sure I don't over-do it.  I figured I can always trim it back down the 1/8" difference that it made.

I cut out the middle 1/2" ring setup, and gave it a go.  Overall it looks to work near perfectly.  I would state the when you get to the last piece that completes it, be careful as you basically have created a gear that can spin rather easily!  After that I notched out the connectors, labeled them, and then created a few of the curved ribs with the insides.  Using this method I was able to get 3 of the ribs done easily, with 1 more that I can hand carve.  I will not get all of the ones that the plans had in the center piece, but I have a 1/4" 2x2 ply I'm planning on using for that one as-is, so I should be good.

The major question I'm going to have is, do I keep these parts and finish them off, or do I re-do all of this work in the Birch ply once I purchase it this week?




No comments: