Monday, August 16, 2010

Droid Building

After going to Celebration V last week, I think I'm going to be inspired to do some more "hands on" work. I got to talk to some of the folks from the R2-D2 Builder's Club, and I wish I had spent more time in their area learning and seeing more. Since I only had a 1-day pass to the convention, I couldn't spend enough time in any one location to really do much.

This is going to be a very adventurous build for me, and definitely something that is going to tax me. Generally I like to "get things done", but this is a kind of project where you have to "enjoy the ride" much more than the final goal. From what I'm reading and seeing, I can do a lot of the build myself, saving a good chunk of money on the initial frame and legs. I have most of the parts I'd need for that. At best I can see this taking 6-12 months to get to a point where I'd start to do actual automation on it, which is a very long term type of project for me. Keeping the dedication and the drive for it would be challenging, but I think it would be a fun and very personally profitable project.

My goal is to slowly start up a section of my blog, if not a whole new blog, for the Droid build as I go. We'll see what develops.

No comments: